There's no other way to put it: becoming a Big (Brother or Sister) changes the lives of kids in Miami. Your time and perspective can awaken new possibilities for a child in need. We've seen failing grades transform into valedictorians, anger turn into hope, and confusion turn into dreams of entrepreneurship. All through a little bit of your time, one child + afternoon at a time. It’s as simple as playing video games, washing the car, or just hanging out together.
Am I cut out to be a Big?
The short answer is probably yes :) We want you as a Big if:
So, how do I get started?
- You have life perspective. You've studied, worked and generally dedicated time and effort to accomplishing something - whether it's earning a degree, mastering a talent, skill or art - and are open to sharing what you've learned and how you did it with someone else.
- You like kids. At the end of the day, these are curious, learning minds being shaped - they're not yet fully formed adults.
- You want to make a difference with just a bit of your time. All it takes is one afternoon (in person) a month. You'll pick up your Little at his or her home, and you'll spend a few hours doing something fun where you can talk - playing a sport, visiting a park, going to a game, visiting a museum - or even reading together. And you might call him or her a couple of times that month, just to check in. You're establishing a friendship and trust.
- You believe in doing the right thing. You believe in doing right by others - and don't mind talking about it. You've got a sense of responsibility and commitment - and don't mind sharing that with someone else that may need some inspiration.
Download our application here
. Return your completed application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Miami – 550 NW 42 Avenue, Miami, FL 33126.
- Call us: Give one of our First Impressions Representatives a call at 305.644.0066 during regular business hours. They’ll answer any questions you have as well as help you schedule your interview with one of our professional staff.
- Inquire online: Contact us with your questions by e-mailing email@example.com, or by completing our online inquiry form. A Big Brothers Big Sisters staff member will then contact you. You'll just need to be prepared to provide references, participate in an in-person interview and have a background check performed.