MAKING MIAMI A MORE INCREDIBLE CITY FOR INCREDIBLE KIDS, ONE CHILD + AFTERNOON AT A TIME
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Miami is the premier mentoring organization of South Florida. Every day, we awaken possibilities for thousands of Miami’s kids - one child and afternoon at a time
- through professionally supported, one-on-one relationships with caring adult volunteers. BBBS Miami has over 55 years of history and experience in the community, since our founding in 1958. We rank in the top 30 largest BBBS agencies in the country and #1 in Florida. BBBS Miami.
Some key data points you'll want to know about us:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Miami is the local lead agency for America’s Promise and National Mentoring Month.
- We serve more than 7,000 children, volunteers and families each year
- Our waiting list reaches 1,000 kids annually. About 60% of these kids are young males in need of a Big Brother.
- Women volunteer at a rate of 3-to-1 compared to male volunteers; so there is a BIG need for men to step up to volunteer!
Our Mission is to provide each child facing adversity with a mentor that awakens them to new possibilities. When we succeed, we make Miami a more incredible city for more incredible kids to grow up in.
Independent research shows that children in our programs achieve measurable outcomes, such as educational success; avoidance of risky behaviors; higher aspirations; greater confidence and better relationships. The 2012 Big Brothers Big Sisters Youth Outcome Summary substantiates that our mentoring programs have proven, positive academic, socio-emotional and behavioral outcomes for youth.
CORE 1:1 MENTORING PROGRAMS
- Community-Based Mentoring: This is the traditional Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring program, where Bigs and Littles can be creative in selecting where they spend their time. Mentoring takes place a few hours a couple of times a month, across a variety of potential locations in Miami (parks, museums, sports fields, etc.).
- School-Based Mentoring (Bigs in Schools): One-to-one mentoring that takes place at school one hour per week.
- Employer-Based Mentoring (School to Work): Employee mentors are paired with high school students at their worksites for four hours a month, during the school year.
- Special Programs: Ask our staff about other program options available, such as Group Mentoring, Big Fitness, Tripod, Bigs in Blue & Military Mentoring.
A HISTORY OF TRUST
- Recognized by the Children’s Trust of Miami Dade County as an “evidence based” youth development program model.
- 2010 Mentoring & Community Empowerment Award – 100 Black Men of America, Inc.
- 2010 Ultimate CEO Award – South Florida Business Journal.
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce NOVO Award for Program Innovation: School to Work Program.
- Mutual of America National Finalist: School to Work Program.
- Miami “Board of the Year” recognition by Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.
BBBS MIAMI IN THE COMMUNITY: CORE SPECIAL EVENTS
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Miami Carnival Center for Excellence 550 NW 42 Avenue
Miami, FL 33126